The organization was established in 1888 in accordance with the wishes of Zenas Marshal Crane, of Crane & Company. The architect for the original building located at 89 South Street in Pittsfield was H. Neil Wilson, who also designed the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. The main building now known as the Residences at 89 South is in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
In 1890, “the Home” was incorporated and named Berkshire County Home for Aged Women and in 1891 the entrance fee was set at $300.00.
The exterior of 89 South (as seen from South Street) looks very much as it did in 1888, but in 1925, through the legacy of Miss Annie B. Clapp, the third floor was squared and an infirmary with nurses’ quarters was added.
“The Home” was licensed as a Rest Home by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In 1951, the entrance fee was raised from $500.00 to $800.00. (The advent of Social Security was seen as keeping women in their own homes longer and thus advanced the age of applicants.)
The name Berkshire Place was adopted.
A modern infirmary was erected. The one-story structure, connected with the rear of the main building, was dedicated to Mrs. Winthrop M. Crane, Jr., on September 16, 1963.
On December 15, 1986, the incorporated name was changed from Berkshire County Home for Aged Women to Berkshire Retirement Home, Inc.
A new addition provided six additional private rooms above the 1963 addition in the rear of the building and residents at Meadow Place (the sister home in Lenox) moved in following completion.
Six rooms were re-licensed from Residential Care to Nursing Care through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health making all 22 beds on the second floor nursing care. In 2001, Berkshire Place became Medicare certified.
Berkshire Place extended its care and services into the community with At Home with Berkshire Place – a private, home care agency program established to serve residents on our waiting list, those discharged home after a recuperative stay, and for those residing in the community needing non-skilled services.
Berkshire Place received Department of Public Health approval to construct a new 54-bed replacement facility.
Berkshire Place opened its new building on November 12th which included 54 private rooms with private bathrooms and specialized programming and in 2015 was licensed to provide outpatient rehabilitation.
89 South Care Support, Inc. was incorporated and work began to renovate the original Berkshire Place at 89 South Street into Senior Independent Living.
Residences at 89 South (old Berkshire Place location) was completed and received a certificate of occupancy. The first senior independent living person moved in on September 11, 2019.