Berkshire Place was established in 1888 in accordance with the wishes of Zenas Marshall Crane (1815-1887), son of Crane & Company founder, Zenas Crane. The project's architect was H. Neill Wilson, who also designed the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. The main building of Berkshire Place is in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
Berkshire Place was incorporated on November 25, 1890 as the Berkshire County Home For Aged Women. In 1925, through the legacy of Miss Annie B. Clapp, the third floor was expanded and nurses’ quarters added.
In 1950, the home was licensed as a Rest Home by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The name Berkshire Place was adopted in 1960.
In 1963, a modern nursing center was erected. The one-story structure connected with the rear of the main building and was dedicated to Mrs. Winthrop M. Crane, Jr. on September 16, 1963.
On December 15, 1986, the corporation's name was changed to Berkshire Retirement Home, Inc. In 1992, Berkshire Place completed another addition as well as complete interior renovations.
In 2001, Berkshire Place became Medicare certified.
In 2011, At Home with Berkshire Place – a private, home care program was established to service residents on our waiting list, those discharged home after a recuperative stay, and for those residing in the community needing non-skilled services.
In 2013, Berkshire Place received approval from the Department of Public Health to construct a new 54 bed replacement facility one-half mile from its existing location on South Street in Pittsfield.